Yarborough Academy in Grimsby had suffered substantial water leaking in throughout the entire building due to the existing roof covering failing. We were instructed to assess the damage, assist the school with their application for funding to the Education & Skills Funding Agency and then rectify the damaged roof – managing all works and contractors.
An Eddisons Chartered surveyor met the client to fully understand their requirements and gather a detailed brief.
- Multiple surveys were conducted to gather sufficient evidence to make a compelling application for funding.
- Surveys involved using protimeters to monitor damp levels, together with specialist roofing manufacturers taking core samples of the roof covering and insulation beneath to fully understand the severity of the defects.
- On successful award of funding, we conducted a competitive tender process obtaining quotes from approved contractors to achieve best value for money.
- The CIF application was successful and Yarborough was awarded nearly £500,000 to complete Phase 1.
- Our surveyor acted as Contract Administrator working closely with the school and contractors to ensure successful delivery.
- The project was delivered with no impact on time constraints or budget.
- Phase 1 and Phase 2 (which included refurbishing internal damaged areas) completed in early 2018.
Our proactive and dedicated approach, working in conjunction with the main contractor Compass Developments NE Ltd, resulted in the successful delivery of the £500,000 project. The building will now accommodate an extra 16 academy Trust employees in one central location.
The extension works followed an extensive £1,000,000 external façade refurbishment. This was also Designed and Project Managed by Eddisons, following two successful CIF applications.
The academy is now compliant with current building regulations, is more energy efficient and has been aesthetically transformed to create a modern learning and working environment.
A spokesperson for the academy trust were delighted with the work.
“Eddisons have been a pleasure to work with in transforming the appearance and performance of our estate,” a senior staff member noted. “All of the works were undertaken in a live academic environment which we were dreading from a Health and Safety perspective. |However, Eddisons ensured that the Health and Safety measures were implemented at all times and the disruption to the academy was actually minimal. We would recommend Eddisons to others.”
September 29th, 2020