The Cedars Academy is an all-age special educational needs school, catering for the needs of a range of pupils, including those with medical, sensory and physical needs, autism, emotional issues and communication difficulties.
The Trust had a requirement to improve the inadequate sports facilities at The Cedars Academy, Gateshead, which included a modular unit used for exercise provision and a Sports Hall in poor condition, with limited storage space. The project was self-funded and therefore careful cost management was a key consideration as well as ensuring best value for money in all aspects of the works.
We worked on behalf of the Academy in the capacity of Lead Designer, Project Manager & Contract Administrator, working closely with key stakeholders throughout the process.
The scope of works included:
• Removal of an existing rented, dilapidated temporary unit which was previously used by the academy for exercise provision and a small amount of storage space
• Extension to the existing poor condition sports hall which is a significant improvement to the existing. Construction of a large store of the sports hall to mitigate poor storage issues that the academy (SEN) was experiencing
• Extension to existing CLASP building to comprise fitness suite in place of existing temporary unit, comprising:
• Fitness suite, changing rooms, office and accessible change/shower/w.c.
• A 6-month construction phase with Compass Developments (appointed after a competitive tendering process managed by Eddisons)
• Following considered liaison with the planning department, construction of new car park area on site to mitigate ongoing car parking issues as a contract variation.
The Eddisons Team provided a full end to end service to the Client on this project, resulting in significant improvements to the quality of the sporting and parking facilities at the school, whilst being mindful throughout of the specialist requirements of the pupils to ensure that the new buildings were ‘fit for purpose’ and sustainable.
The project was delivered on time and to budget, during term time and with the additional challenges of ensuring a safe working environment for the staff , pupils and the construction team during the Covid-19 pandemic.
“This project was delivered on time and to budget, during term time and with the additional challenges of ensuring a safe working environment for the staff , pupils and the construction team during the Covid-19 pandemic.”